As one of the seven main ingredients of Herbamojo, maca is known to be a superfood in the health industry. This is quite obvious, given that it is packed with nutrients. It is a good source of carbohydrate, fat and protein, as well as containing 20 amino acids, which can be beneficial for muscle repair. Not only that, maca also contains various vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, B6, copper, iron, potassium, fibre and manganese, which can all contribute to maintain your general wellbeing. Therefore, to give you a better insight, we will be explaining a number of benefits you can get when consuming maca regularly on this week's journal. Read on!
- Boosts energy Maca's high carbohydrate content may help to give your body energy and boosting it naturally. Unlike caffeine, maca may help you stay awake and energized throughout the day without having to bear the crash following it. This in turn, can help you stay focused and feel less tired during daily activities. Regular maca consumption can also help boost mood and reduce anxiety, as it contains flavonoids. Study have shown that maca may help improve performance in athletes that consume the extract regularly.
- Fights free radicals Coming from various factors, such as exposure to polluted air, cigarettes, alcohol, stress, injury, the sun, or living an unhealthy lifestyle, free radicals are harmful to our cells as they can damage them in the long run with prolonged exposure. Exposure to free radicals may trigger inflammation and may even cause health problems like heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Therefore, consuming food and supplements that are packed with antioxidants can help you fight them. Maca may also help in fighting free radicals from entering your system, as it supports and builds up natural antioxidants in the body, such as glutathione.
- Enhances sex drive Maca is most well-known as an aphrodisiac in its habitat region, South America. This is for a good reason, as maca may support male health and vitality. Studies have shown that maca may improve male reproductive health, including males with erectile dysfunction. Areas that maca consumption may affect include healthy sexual libido and function, normal prostate and sperm function, as well as increased libido throughout many ages and stages of life. This explains why a lot of men consume maca to increase fertility.
- Helps balance hormones and improves mood A lot of lifestyle choices and environmental factors contributes to unbalanced hormones, that may cause a myriad of symptoms, from physical disruptions to anxiety and mood swings. Maca can be useful to handle this problem as it is classified as an adaptogen, which means it can help the body adapt to stresses. Consuming maca regularly may help to support your endocrine system, which is responsible for producing the hormones that help to regulate your metabolism, sleep and mood. A balanced endocrine system means balanced hormone levels and results in better sleep patterns and less mood swings. Studies also show that maca can also help increase dopamine and noradrenaline, both chemical neurotransmitters that are linked to the reward part of your brain.
- Maintains brain health The high antioxidant content in maca can also help you maintain good brain health, as antioxidants work to fight cell damage. Regular consumption of maca is also linked to improved cognitive ability and better memory function.